Suffolk Village of the Year 2023

Cockfield United Football Club

I hope that you, your family and friends are all managing to stay safe in these ever-turbulent times. As was the case with the first Lockdown, Lockdown 2.0 has brought around the suspension of amateur football once again. Hopefully this will be just for the four weeks but we await confirmation. That being said I still have action from five games across the four sides to bring you.

1st Team

Only the one game for the 1sts since my last report but a well anticipated one at that with a derby against local rivals Thurston. With a healthy crowd for both sides the game started in nervy fashion with no one really taking control. Increasingly though we were finding joy down the flanks, utilising the pace of Ryan Goulding well. The pressure eventually told and the leagues top scorer, Luke Spivey, scored a quick fire first half hat trick. After a verbal dressing down during the break it seemed Thurston may come out with some fight, Alfie Bullett quickly put pay to that though and scored a hat trick of his own, including a fine 25 yard strike, to finish off the visitors. There was time for one last goal as Nick Garrad comically scored using his backside after a goalmouth scramble, those of you who have met Nick will know it’s a goal only he could score.

Reserve Team

Again only one game here as we made the short trip up the “14” to Claydon. The game started in monsoon like conditions and the home side seemed to take to the conditions better, racing in to 2-0 lead. We looked to utilise to height of new recruit Gus Beecroft from set pieces and it proved fruitful following a long throw from Tom Calver, the big man flicked on to centre half partner Joe Brinkley who (spectacularly) stabbed home from all of 3 yards. With the leaked news of the lockdown coming through at half time both teams threw caution to the wind in the second half in a great spectacle for those few brave souls that came to spectate with the game finishing 4-3 to Claydon. Our second half goals came from Reece Gooderham and Josh Mealey who were both on debut, Reece’s goal the standout with a cracking overhead effort.

Sunday Side

The only game for the Sunday side came in the Open Cup with a trip over to the Suffolk Essex border at Stoke by Clare. Unfortunately we could not sign off with a win. In an uncharacteristically poor performance we came away on the wrong end of a 4-1 score line, Callum Brown with the consolation goal.

Veterans Side

Two home games for the Vets before the break. Firstly against Hadleigh United who we knew would prove tough opposition. After a fast start we went into a 2-0 lead, after 30 minutes a fine reaction save from Kristian Keymer seemed to have kept the score at 2-0, unfortunately Keymer is our centre half so the team had to play the remaining hour with 10 men. They all dug in brilliantly to come away with a credible 3-3 draw, Chris Stewart got all three goals for a brilliant game saving hat trick. We then signed off for the break against Taydal Old Boys, a bit of an unknown outfit, but we came away with the three points in a tightly fought game which finished 3-2, with goals coming from Barry Budgen, Tristan Plumb and another for Chris Stewart.

Joe B

Scroll to top